Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hayden's Ferry Review #45



D. Bryon Darby, arts editor of ASU's Hayden's Ferry Review approached me a few months back about featuring Echolilia in their Fall/Winter edition. Amidst the process I asked him why he was interested in the project and he brought up the concept of "Memory" that was a theme of the edition. He writes:
m
I was particularly struck by the way you described Emmet Gowin's family photographs in the 100 eyes interview. You said, "It just had this sense of hauntedness that made it seem like a childhood memory." I feel this is the same way I respond to your Echolilia project, and in particular to the four images I've selected. There is something so strange yet so incredibly familiar about them - like my own distant and fleeting memory hiding in my subconscious.
m
Of course when an editor says something that kind and perceptive, you will then do anything he says, right? Pretty much...m
m
The issue arrived yesterday with a fascinating piece by Hong Hao stretching over the front and back cover titled "My Things No. 1, 2001- 2002" and other great collections by Beth Dow and Mark Klett. The favorite spread from my chunk of the book is above.
m
Buy/Subscribe to HFR HERE.

Hayden Ferry Review #45, cover detail from "My Things #1" by Hong Hao

No comments: