Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Night Videos

The Tiger Lillies- Living Hell from Mark Holthusen on Vimeo.

I had a dream the other night I was forced at gunpoint to create a video.

But I like photography....I don't want to make a video. It wouldn't look like me...

Just saw The Tiger Lillies-Living Hell by Mark Holthusen and really just could not believe how well this video manifested the artist's aesthetic. It actually seemed as if video was the more fully realized medium for his rich and complex imagery. The grotesque makeup, the sea sick feeling of unbalance and the floating snow setting the pace in this world of sketchy characters are all themes that have surfaced in his still photography over the years. It was so powerful, such a smooth transition, I really didn't know what to say. It was all there.

Then today on The Photography Post I see Die Antwoord-Wat Pomp directed by Roger Ballen. A little less fully realized compared to the Holthusen video, makes me cringe in a way where I kind of wish Ballen didn't try this...but fascinating attempt to ponder.

See them here. See Holthusen's work HERE. See Ballen's work HERE.

No comments: