Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Who Buys Echolilia?


Wooden Gun, 2008 from Echolilia
m
Coming out with a book is like throwing a rock in a lake, you see the ripples and the wake and you see what surfaces. ECHOLILIA is a different project, kinda between my son and I, but we hoped for it to speak to everyone. Once the book arrived, for whatever reason the people buying the book opted to share some of their lives as well. Here are some notes that have come thru:

I flipped through it with my fiance, but can't completely dive in right now. You see we're getting married this Saturday and it's pretty hectic around here.
m
Her name is Julianna and on our first date I told her about my childhood missions with my dogs wielding a wooden gun just like the one in the book. I was an only child growing up in the woods/country and I really only had my dogs to play with since my dad was working at the steel mill and my mom was running her dog grooming shop in our house....I could go on.
m
Thank you for sticking it out and working through this project - it has brought me joy.
- Chris Crisman, photographer
m
**********************************************************
m
We were so transfixed that we forgot the corn was on, boiling for a good half an hour. Steam rising, turning from cobs to mush, just as the book generated a crisp edge of awareness.
The world stopped spinning and our own house fell flat while we fell into the book and images. Nothing edgy here at all, just very eloquent and real.

- Kim Van der veen, Burgeon Group

m

**********************************************************


Unwrapping Echolilia, I wish I could dismiss my outburst of emotion as the result of PMS.

I started crying the moment I saw Eli's signature. I don't have descriptive words for my reaction seeing this project come to fruition. I wish I did.


Eli will always will be a mystery to you as will your other son, but I feel like you have found a medium where you and Eli can parallel play. Bonding, playing, creating, but side by side rather than face to face. You met some of my family - the kids that I was a nanny for. Their mom always told me that the best conversations and when you learn the most about your kid is when they are in the car in the back seat, heading wherever - separated. Wondering - wandering through their day and what happened.

- Brooke Embry, Tidepool Reps


*******************************************************************************


Camera phone shot by Lisa Mitchell, Fredericksburg, VA

No comments: